What Is An Appraisal?
An appraisal confirms a replacement value of your jewelry. This will give your insurance provider an idea of how much it will cost them to cover your items as part of your policy.
Why Get An Appraisal?
Appraisals provide more information to insurance companies than a jewelry store receipt. They also provide current values for estate and heirloom pieces, as well as proof of ownership if an item is lost or stolen.
What Should Be Appraised?
Typically, insurance companies require appraisals for pieces valued over $5,000. Most providers will accept a store receipt for anything of lesser value. At Christopher William Jewelers, we provide complimentary appraisals for all new purchases over $3,000.
When Should You Update An Appraisal?
Most insurance companies request pieces to be re-appraised every five years. Values can change frequently due to the ever fluctuating diamond and metal markets.
We offer free appraisals on each piece of jewelry purchased from Christopher William Jewelers valued over $3,000.
Appraisal updates on pieces not purchased at Christopher William Jewelers.
Per Item. 2 week turnaround. No appointment necessary.
Per Item. Same day express service. By appointment.
Questions To Ask Potential Insurers
- Should your item need to be repaired, can you choose the jeweler?
- What types of repairs will contribute to the overall deductible?
- Does your policy cover a replacement item, or cash payout?
- If you are insured for a replacement, can you decide where to purchase a new item?
- What happens if your preferred jeweler cannot find a suitable replacement?
- If you make a claim due to the item being lost or stolen, what is the process to prove the item is no longer in your possession?
- Are there any circumstances where your jewelry would not be covered?
- Will your items still be insured during travel?
- Are you covered for any damage, or just loss and theft?
- Will the policy change depending on inflation?
Appraisals are done in our Weyers Cave location, but you are welcome to drop your pieces off in our Harrisonburg location if that’s more convenient. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our associates for assistance.